Conflict is a normal part of having a relationship. Knowing how to respectfully settle disputes can help build stronger relationships. Conflict doesn’t damage relationships, but how conflict is dealt with, can.
Here are some tips for managing and resolving conflict in a healthy way:
- Don’t avoid conflict; address situations as they occur. If you can’t let something go, it should be addressed quickly before developing into a larger issue.
- Practice your words before the conversation. It can be helpful to write out what you want to say and say it a few times before you meet with the person.
- Remember the relationship is more important than ‘winning’ an argument. Try to be respectful of others’ viewpoints.
- Let go of past hurts and resentments and focus on the present dispute.
- Pick your battles. Conflict can be draining, so it’s important to consider whether the issue is really worthy of your time and energy.
- Be willing to forgive, and know when to let something go.
Call EAC for help. Our skilled counselors can give you guidance and help you create a plan to resolve the conflict once and for all. Call us today at 1-800-227-0905.